Sunday, October 27, 2013
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Koda (as he was affectionately known), went into convulsions at about 2:30 this afternoon. I took him to the 24-hour emergency vet, after trying a few first aid things at home. They pumped him full of valium, which reduced the convulsions to mild tremors.
The vet was straight up with the prognosis - based on what the expensive tests that I can't afford might tell us, she was not optimistic that he could go home and be OK. So, I made the decision to let him go.
He passed peacefully. The med they use anesthetised him immediately, and continued on to an overdose. He slipped away in less than a minute.
Pax vobiscum, Koda.
Friday, October 4, 2013
Tuesday, Dakota took a pretty good tumble down a full flight of stairs, spine first. Nothing was broken, but I noticed yesterday that he seemed to have lost balance and strength on his left side.
Last night, he went into full-body convulsions for a minute or so.
We are off to the vet at 3:30. Koda is resting on the air mattress down here on the first floor.
Update: Back from the vet. We are treating "symptomatically", as the diagnostics for Koda would cost more than mine! He now has industrial-strength steroids (Dexamethasone) to take over the next two weeks. If his symptoms are caused by swelling resulting from the fall, this should clear them up.
I'm cautiously optimistic, which is a big improvement.