Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cars

The last two classes I taught pretty much burned me out on teaching.  I should stick to teaching people who already have degrees, rather than people who think they're in 13th grade.

Anyway, I started at the Manheim Auto Auction in (where else?) Manheim, PA.  I'm a driver in the PSI (Post Sales Inspection) area.  When a dealer buys a car, we can, if they want, do a pretty thorough inspection to let them know the condition of what they bought.

Pictures:

This is a shot looking north, across the test track.  The mechanics run cars (right-to-left) here at max acceleration.


This shot is to the northwest, again across the test track. The painted lines in the foreground are where cars are queued up for inspection.  Part of my job is to take inspected cars up the hill, and pick up ones to be tested and get them in a queue.



This is taken north again, looking down to the mechanic's queue from where we pick up the cars to be inspected, and park the ones that are done



As you may have noticed, we're in the middle of farm country.  If there was any doubt about that, it was washed away last week by the odor of porcine or bovine metabolic end-product that was applied to the fields upwind in preparation for planting.

 So pretty much get the car, drive the car, park the car, lather, rinse, repeat.  I put a pedometer app on my phone - Friday, I did 17k+ steps (a bit over two miles).  ;-P  I like it.  Everyone is friendly, helpful and supportive.  In two days, I've driven a boatload of BMWs and Mercedes, and even a couple of Jags.  And a couple of clunkers that required me to almost redline the engine so I could get the clutch out without killing  the engine.

In other car news, I have a new one!


It's a 2009 Toyota Camry.  Four banger, automatic, comfy, nice sound system, sunroof, good mileage, and critically, sufficient head and leg room.

I got it from a local dealer (Red Lion Chevrolet), with whom I am not happy.  They do not keep their word (the major ding was fixed, but not the smaller one), their "inspection" missed that the A/C needs charging, but mostly it was the feeling I had after talking with the sales manager that I needed a shower with a wire brush after I got home.  Sleazy.

When I last had the Blazer inspected there, the mechanic told me the brakes were just about to go bad, and that someone had put in cheap pads.  I mentioned that I'd had the work done there, to his surprise.  They were quite serviceable until the the trans died four months later and I got the Toyota.

Not going back, and taking my business to the nice guys across the street from the end of the alley.

And that's it from here!


1 comment:

Deb said...

Nice car!

And, at least while the weather is good, great job. We could all do with a few miles of exercise.

Is this every day?